Copyright Info

Everything here, including text, photographs, designs, and graphics, are Copyright © Stacey King, except where otherwise noted. They are shared for personal use and inspiration only. Please do not copy ANYTHING on this site without my permission. Thanks!

Way cool people who follow my blog!

Search & Win

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Charm of Wisteria

HOW COOL IS THIS!??! Click on the photo to see a much larger version! This is an idea that's been rolling around in my head for months, since about a week after I made my Blogiversary Bluebonnet. I figured I could easily flip the basic construction, make it out of different colors, and have wisteria. I mean, Bluebonnets and Wisteria are even in the same subfamily, Faboideae. In making them from punches, it's just a difference in the way they grow, right? Right! It's constructed almost exactly the way my bluebonnet is constructed, just upside down, with a flip of the blossoms about 2/3 down.

I started the blooms yesterday afternoon, since I had a good-size scrap of Lovely Lilac out anyway for yesterday's card but didn't use it. So pulled out some Lavender Lace, Pale Plum and Whisper White, and started punching out 5-petal flowers. This morning I sat and assembled the blooms, then worked on the leaves (fold paper in half, cut a half-leaf-ish shape, run the folded shape through a paper crimper, and open--leaves come in all shapes, so you can't really mess it up). I thought I was using scraps of Certainly Celery and Garden Green, but the GG turned out to be Wild Wasabe (retired). The page base is So Saffron sponged with More Mustard.

I got it all assembled... and then I thought, "I need a bug--a really coooool bug." So I pulled out my large and small oval punches and punched four wings from Tempting Turqoise. I punched four large ovals from vellum, and glued them to the TT pieces. Used a sponge dauber to add Green Galore to the tops of the wings, letting the ink get on the vellum, too. Turned it over and used a Taken with Teal and YoYo Yellow markers to add crazy veining and a bit of yellow to the back side of the top wings. The body started out as a Word Window punch in SaharaSand, but I used my paper snips to cut him a narrow tail. The head started out as a 1/2" circle, but it was too big, so I trimmed it down with scissors. Details added with sponge dauber, white gel pen, and turquoise marker. Here's a close-up of the finished dragonfly:
By the way, the title "English Charm" and the date are not actually there. Again, they're added to the photo in Photoshop. The page on my work table has no title yet. All the actual materials are from Stampin' Up!

Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

Jana Emmert said...

Wow, just wow, Stacey! Your punch techniques rock!

Lisa Atha said...

Wow, this is my very first visit to your blog and I am already totally hooked. That has got to be the most awesome scrapbook page I have ever seen. I am praying for the bravery to try to make one myself. I will definately be back to visit your blog again.

Lisa A.

Cindee said...

All of your flowers are so beautiful and life like. Just amazing. Your blog is awesome as well. I will be watching for more beautiful flowers. Thanks so much for sharing.