Copyright Info

Everything here, including text, photographs, designs, and graphics, are Copyright © Stacey King, except where otherwise noted. They are shared for personal use and inspiration only. Please do not copy ANYTHING on this site without my permission. Thanks!

Way cool people who follow my blog!

Search & Win


Low budget/no budget marketing resources from Punk Poultry Media

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Five-Petal Punch Chrysanthemum

Hey! Welcome to my blog! This post is getting a LOT of traffic lately, and I just wanted to invite you to check out the rest of my blog (at least be sure to check out my Chrysanthemum card here). If you use this technique, I truly do appreciate that you give credit and link to my main page. Thanks! --Stacey ;-)

The idea for this punch flower (about 3" in diameter!) actually came from the large flower stamp in SU's Fabulous Flowers set. It's a large mum, and all the petals are basically the same shape. I got to looking at it and had one of those eureka moments where I had to run excitedly to my craft table to try it. And it worked! The first one I made is pretty basic, and appears on my 'Sisters' layout, which I will post later for the July 15 Demo Scrapbook Challenge. For this tutorial, I've kicked it up a notch.

Here's what you'll need for one Five-Petal Punch Chrysanthemum:
-Five-Petal Flower punch
-Scrap of SU cardstock (I'm using Pretty in Pink)
-At least one ink pad in a related color (I'm using three: Apricot Appeal, Pretty in Pink and Cameo Coral)
-Quarter or sixth of a stampin' sponge
-Paper snips
-Liquid glue (I prefer Tombow's Aqua to the Multi for this)
-Piercing tool and pad (I use a pushpin and thick piece of fun foam)

And here's what to do:
1. For a flower with three 'layers' (as I am doing), punch FOUR Five-Petal Flowers. For a four 'layer' mum, punch SEVEN.
2. Find the center of each punched flower and pierce a hole. (The white piece is my template that I use over and over.)
3. Sponge some color into the centers of the flowers. As you can see, I used Apricot Appeal on one (for my central layer), Pretty in Pink on one (for layer two), and Cameo Coral on two (for layer three).
4. Set your central layer flower aside for a moment. For the remaining three flowers, snip them into petals by starting in a 'V' between petals and snip to the center hole. So you end up with one unsnipped flower, and all the rest snipped into petals (be sure to keep them separated if you use different colors).
5. Apply a small dot of glue to the inside points of the petals for layer two. Quickly press them ink-side up to the back , so that they are centered between the petals of the unsnipped flower.
6. Continue with a third layer of petals, applying a small dot of glue and adhering petals. If desired, continue with a fourth layer.
7. Here, I've added a Boho Blossoms punch flower in Apricot Appeal and secured it with a small brad from the silver Hodgepodge Hardware.
8. Here, I've added Small-Oval punch leaves (cut to a point with papersnips).

Here's a link to a card I did using a 7-layer version of this flower:

12 comments:

Jana O'Brien said...

Love this flower, Stacey! Thanks for the tutorial.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

I just had to comment here too. Absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for sharing it. :0)

Jami said...

FABULOUS! I just love what you did with this for the sketch challenge!! I can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for the terrific tut!

bensarmom said...

Stacey this is just gorgeous! I tried a smaller one and posted a link to your blog and your great directions! Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing this Stacey!! :)

Lynn said...

This is AMAZING! I can't wait to try one!!! I'm so glad I came across your blog...you are very talented!

Belinda said...

Soo Beautiful. I am hooked on this punch and how versatile it is. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Ladystamper said...

Very clever!!

Ramsgirl said...

Lovely flower, thank you so much.

Liam said...

Love the flower. I decided to try it out. Thank you for the tutorial. You can check it out on my blog if you like. You have such brilliant ideas. thank you for sharing.

Liam

Leonie said...

Oh wow, thanks for such an awesome tutorial, I cant wait to give this a go!!

Lisa Brown said...

GORGEOUS! Can't wait to try it!