Friday, May 16, 2008
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Didn't I say that my brain is more in scrapbook mode than card mode lately? And isn't this page fun?! This is the first single-page layout I've done in a very long time. Uses scraps of Bali Breeze paper, SAB rubons, assorted punches, cuttlebug dies, chipboard, bling, and a prima flower. Title was printed from Photoshop at the same time that I printed the photos (font is Badonk-a-donk). I had some creative fun assembling the various flowers.
This month's challenge was quite a challenge for me, too. I'll explain. I'm part of a group of ladies who do a monthly scrapbook class. My friend Carole (who is my downline) generally puts together two 2-page layouts using one package of designer paper per person. My job is to make the cutting guides for those pages, and I have also been teaching card-making with various stamping techniques. Lately my brain has been more in scrapbook mode than card mode, so this month we're trying something different. Instead of cards, I plan to do two additional layouts. Now the challenge is that the only DSP I can use is whatever's leftover from Carole's layouts, and the cost of the non-DSP supplies for both additional layouts can't be more $5.00 or take too much time to assemble.
Add in a boatload of end-of-year school activities, PTA meetings, and a class to teach at UTA, and play-time to come up with wonderful cheap ideas has been non-existent.
DSP: Bali Breeze
Cardstock: Sahara Sand, Vellum, Purely Pomegranate, Old Olive
Ink: Creamy Caramel (for distressing), Old Olive
Punches: Horizontal Slot, Boho Blossoms, Five-Petal Flower
Misc: On Board Blossoms & Basics, Purely Pomegranate Satin Ribbon (from the winter mini), pewter brads
This is a close-up of the chipboard flower (in honor of the chipboard sale!). I cut a square of Old Olive, and stamped it with the Sanded BG in Olive. Traced the chipboard piece on the back of the square.
Quick tips for covering chipboard with paper: Put your paper face down on your workspace, then your chipboard piece face down on the paper. Trace around with a pencil, and say if it's a flower, put a dot on the back of one petal of your chipboard flower, and a matching dot on that traced petal on your paper--to help you line it up correctly later. Cut out your shape, glue to chipboard, trim, sand edges.
I've been eyeing my vellum for a while, so I thought this might be a good use for it. Elegant and subdued, but still fun.
This is a close-up of one of the ribbons at the top of the Sahara Sand pieces. I used the Horizontal Slot punch, then threaded 5" pieces of Pomegranate satin ribbon through each. Stapled in place (I used a long-arm stapler to come up from the bottom and staple). Then I put a strip of DSP over the staple.
And here's the sketch I did (and largely ignored!) in the making of this layout:
THANKS FOR VISITING MY BLOG!